Thursday, March 12, 2009
I don't want to bore you with the growing pile of flying geese for the setting squares (just picture the pile sloooooowly growing), so I thought I'd share this little sewing kit I made a few weeks ago.
I finally decided that I really needed to make myself a little hand sewing kit. Over the years I've used lots of different containers for my sewing things, but I never really found anything that worked for me. I was hunting around on the web for something that would be fairly quick and easy to make, big enough for the things I use, but small enough that supplies wouldn't get lost in the bottom.
I found a wonderful tutorial for this on Mackville Road, Diane's blog. It's really three fabric envelopes tacked together, with a fourth sewn as a flap to go over the top. The three envelopes are large enough for my minimal regular sewing supplies. It's just long enough for my six inch ruler and a small pair of scissors and tall enough to tuck in a spool or two of thread.
Diane's directions didn't call for quilting, but hey, it was an enticing little project to practice my machine quilting skills on. Instead of using heavy weight fabric, I just used regular cotton and a lightweight batting. Hers also called for a button closure, but I'm afraid I must have missed that class in home ec. I like the ribbon tie because it allows the pockets to be expandable, depending on how much I need to tote around.
I love that it stands upright while I'm sewing so I can drop things into it and then find them again when I need them. I also love that I decided to dig into my stash of Kaffe Fassett fabrics to make it, because it looks so pretty.
The Destination Imagination tournament is this Saturday, so by next week I'll have a little bit more time to be working on some projects I've had to let slide. I am really looking forward to some quality time in the sewing room...