I've been working on the setting squares for this. I started working on the star blocks last summer after I found this lovely fabric, Prairie Paisley. At first I intended it to be just wall hanging size, nine blocks with some kind of little border around it. I was very, very careful in cutting into it because I'd only bought a few fat quarters and a half yard of what I thought would be the border material.
I love the colors in this fabric. The picture above doesn't really show how all the colors are slightly grayed so that they have a softened, almost antique look.
I wanted the setting squares to carry on with the flying geese from the flag squares, but not take too much attention away from them. I sketched this block pattern from somewhere--not sure where. It works for me. I'm just not too sure about the corners, though. I might use half square triangles or maybe look for another solution.
I'm envisioning a pieced border of something or other around the nine square center medallion and then, if I have enough fabric left, maybe another one with more flying geese. Quilt Sampler magazine featured a quilt using this line in their Spring/Summer 2008 edition and I've gotten some ideas from that. But this is a design as you go sort of project, so I'm just going to wait to finish the setting blocks before I cut any more fabric.
I've bought some more yardage here and there, so I think (hope!) I'll have enough to finish something in a lap quilt size. I just plan to keep going until I run out.
The flag block, by the way, is a Judy Martin design I found in Quilter's Newsletter a few years back. July/August, 2005--I just went and looked it up.