Monday, March 2, 2009

Random

Another post without a picture. Sorry. Last week was very busy: three after-school Destination Imagination practices, my book club, quilt guild, Friday night knitting. By Saturday I had achieved...exhaustion! I spent most of the day in my pajamas, thinking that the next cup of coffee would perk me up enough to get something (anything!) done. It was not to be. Sunday was no better. My dad injured himself in a fall so we took him to the emergency room early Sunday morning to make sure he hadn't broken any bones. He hadn't, but he is still in pain from a number of scrapes and bruises.

March is usually a very busy month for me. We have our Destination Imagination tournament in two weeks. Quilter's Day Out is in three weeks. Parent-teacher conferences and third quarter report cards are in there somewhere. By the last week of the month I truly NEED spring break.

This week is shaping up to be a little less frenetic. We still have three DI practices this week, but thankfully I don't have any more evening meetings for a while. Tomorrow I'm taking the afternoon off to take my dad to the doctor, so I may be able to steal a little time to work on something after he is through.

By the way, this past month our book club read A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini (the author of The Kite Runner). I highly recommend this book both for the skillful writing and for the different perspective on Afghanistan. It's not a quick read, nor a happy story, but it is well worth reading. To me, a novel succeeds if it pulls you into another world where you feel that the characters are real and and will continue to live after the book is read. Since I've finished it I find myself wondering what Laila, the main character, thinks of the recent events in Afghanistan before I remember that she is just a character in a book.

For next month we are reading The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. Another continent, another war.

Other books on the bedside table:

Dreams of My Father, Barack Obama
The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2000, David Quammen, editor
Butcher's Crossing, John Williams
Collapse, Jared Diamond

You see? I NEED spring break!

No comments: