Sunday, February 11, 2007

Finished!


Done and done, as we say around here! I finally finished this last night. It is hand pieced and hand quilted, and I've been working on it on and off for about four years. I have to keep reminding myself that since I began working on it I have also pieced and quilted three baby quilts, pieced several tops, finished a mystery quilt, made the butterfly challenge piece, and worked on several other things. This has always been my stand-by project, worked on when I didn't have anything more pressing since I always intended it to live on the back of the love seat it is now resting on.

I got the pattern for the feathered star from Measure the Possibilities with Omnigrid by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, just about the first quilting book I ever bought. I use this book all the time because it has rotary cutting directions for just about any shape. The rest of the design is mine--I love the little feathers in the border. It measures about 46 in square. The fabric came from Hancock's (not Hancock's of Paducah) which is a chain fabric store like Jo-Ann's. I fell in love with the fabric first and bought a yard of each before I even knew what I was going to use it for. It is some of the first civil war reproduction fabric I bought. One Sunday afternoon I decided to try a feathered star and this fabric just seemed right for it.

It's really difficult to get good pictures of the quilting on such a dull day, but you can see some of it here. I really wanted to try out some fancy quilting in the open areas. In the red border I stippled, following the lines of the print on the fabric, but it won't show up in the photos.
I quilted big smiles in the four light triangles at each corner because I was so happy it was DONE!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done such fantastic work with this quilt! Four years is a very long time, but when we see the result - Oh my!!

meggie said...

What beautiful beautiful work!
Excellence!!

Forgetmenot said...

It's so very beautiful. Well done! WELL DONE!

Pam said...

The quilt is just stunning, and your hand quilting is so lovely. Isn't it nice we can click and enlarge the pictures to get a real close up shot. But your quilting really stands out in the close up shot and it is wonderful. Congratulations on the finish. Enjoy!

Libby said...

What a beauty - everything is just right. It might have taken a bit of time to complete, but well, well worth it.

Shelina said...

This is an incredibly gorgeous quilt! Congratulations on finishing. I can see the beautiful quilting.

Jeanne said...

Diana, your feathered star quilt was certainly worth the wait! It is simply gorgeous.

Anne Heidi said...

WOW, that looks really great! Congratulations on a beautiful quilt:)

Anonymous said...

Awesome work, I love it ! Bravo !

Unknown said...

I love it! The colors, the design and the small hand quilting. Everything is perfect. That was a good thing you didn´t give up. That will be a heirloom!

Katie said...

Four days, four weeks, four months, four years. They will pass whether you are quilting or not. How wonderful you perservered and have this wonderful result. What will you have in another four years?

Meredith said...

It looks great. Ilike the hand quilting design you used in the open white spaces. Way to stick it out and have a great finish.

Mir said...

Wow, Mom, that is so beautiful!! I can't wait to see it in person this weekend (provided we have no more snow, that is). Thanks for the comment, I am feeling much better now; in fact I am one of four people who braved the snow to come into work today. See you in a few days!

Bea said...

Just stopping at your blog and find a great work - whow - a realy beautiful quilt. Thank you for showing all the deatils.

Lois R. said...

Wow. That is beautiful! And well worth the wait. Truly worthy of taking your time with this one.

By the way, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog the other day. I appreciate the visit.

Jenni said...

That is a stunning quilt - the colours are great. It looks very graphic.