Thursday, February 8, 2007

Busy Week

I'd like to thank everyone who has been reading and commenting on this blog. Over the past couple of months I've come to feel that I am part of community of very creative people. It's wonderful (and still totally amazing to me) that people all over the world communicate this way!

It's been a busy week. I began to realize that I was overdue for a visit to the eye doctor--not being able to see my quilt stitches was the first clue (and they're not THAT small)--so yesterday I went for a check-up. After a very thorough exam the doctor decided to increase my prescription. It's not that unexpected for my age, and everything else looked good, so that was a relief. My new glasses should be ready next week, so I won't have to strain to see what I am doing. The last time I went to get new glasses was a real nightmare--three different eye exams and I don't even remember how many different prescriptions before I finally settled on something that wasn't perfect, but that I could live with. This time I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work out.

I think I posted last week that I had about a week's worth of quilting left to do on the feathered star. That would have been right if I had been able to actually work on it consistently, but other things took up some time. Anyway, I am within a day or two of finishing the quilting, and the binding will be a breeze because I can cut the strips for it as soon as the quilting is done. So far it lies pretty flat, so I'll try to be very careful in the binding to keep it that way.

I've also been working on the posy quilt, and I'm even thinking of making it larger. Since the posies sit so close to each other I'm not using as much of the muslin as I was and I may be able to stretch another row or two out of what I have left. I love the soft, pastel colors.

The log cabin has been sitting on the design wall all week, but no sudden inspiration has hit about what kind of a border would look good. I had an idea I might use a quilt pattern I saw in a Thimbleberries book, but I just don't like it as a border for this one. My camera batteries just ran out so I can't post a picture right now. The funny thing is that I went ahead and made several strip sets to test out how it would look on the border, and since I'm not going to use it, I'm about 1/3 of the way through another quilt! I might just take Molly's advice and not even use a border. That way I could be done with it and move on to something else.

Tomorrow will be wild at work. We will have three teachers and a special education instructional assistant out for illness and another four are supposed to have substitutes so that they can do some professional planning! Our principal is gone for the day too. Thank heavens it's going to be Friday.

Thanks for coming by, and please feel free to leave a comment.

6 comments:

Linds said...

Your quilts sound spectacular. I am itching to get going again. Now that we have a week off, maybe i can start cutting and planning. Or rather, planning and cutting!

Libby said...

I'm getting closer and closer to allowing myself the joy of handquilting. I know if I don't force myself to complete some things first they will never get done. Your work is inspiring.

molly said...

If that's your feathered star quilt at the top of this post then I wish I could see more of it!. What I CAN see is gorgeous...And did i mention how much I like the tree picture on your snow day post?I don't enjoy the temps. that accompany snow [arthritis prefers it warm] but I love the pics.

Unknown said...

Hi Diana,
After your email I have now read all your blog from the start have added you to my list on my site. I love the same colours as you as I do and if I didn't take your point about WIPs multiplying I'd be very tempted by those brave new world blocks. No, thats a big fat lie... I am tempted....!

Samantha said...

Youhave been very busy! Good luck finishing up the quilt, and I hope your new glasses work out well!

Pam said...

I enjoy having a few different projects on the go - then you can pick and chose whether you feel like hand quilting, hand stitching, machine stitching or cutting new fabric, always something different - although it drives my husband crazy! He keeps thinking I should finish something. I guess I should.

I hope you had a good day at work today (Friday) and it wasn't too hectic with all the substitutes around. Happy Weekend :)