Saturday, February 10, 2007

Fabric Dreams

Earlier this week I ordered these:


from Hancock's of Paducah on line in order to be able to fussy cut 60 degree diamonds to make these:


which I have been admiring for, oh let's see, two years now. This is the March 2005 issue. The quilt was made by Kim McLean of Lindfield, New South Wales, Australia. It is a re-creation of a quilt in Annette Gero's book Historic Australian Quilts, originally made by Mary Josephson in 1850. Since I love working with hexes and diamonds, I thought I would give fussy cutting a try. Sometime. Anyway, I now have the tool to do it with.

What I didn't bargain for was that Hancock's would helpfully include a nice fat catalog with the order. Oh my gosh. The fabrics! The colors! The patterns! All weekend long I have been carrying the catalog around with me, dog-earing the pages of fabrics I just can't live without. There's a lot in there I can't live without.

I was finally able to get a picture of my failed log cabin border. It is from a Thimbleberries book, I'm not sure which one. My teaching next door neighbor brought in a couple of the books last month when she was trying to decide which quilt she wanted to make. Anyway, this pattern is called Sticks and Stones. Since I already had all those strips anyway, I thought, why not? The trouble is that the "stones" pop a little too much, and distract the eye away from the center. I still like the pattern, though...and I do have enough strips..or I will when I cut some more...and a new project is born.


1 comment:

Shelina said...

Yea, that Hancock's catalog is always able to break any resolve of mine. Your fabric for your new project is very nice.