Sunday, January 14, 2007

Working Weekend

I've had a busy couple of days. The mystery quilt is coming along. There is a glimmer of light at the end of that particular tunnel. AND I've got some more of these posies done--I'm to the point where I'm looking at different arrangements. I am very limited in the amount of hexes I can put in this quilt because the off-white muslin I'm using came as part of a kit and I don't think I'll be able to find any more in that particular color. Hey, ya wouldn't want to it to be easy!

Here you can see what I have done so far, arranged on my super high tech design surface (actually, a cheap vinyl tablecloth thumbtacked to the wall of my sewing room with the flannel side out). It works much better than I thought it would. And it is much more convenient than pinning everything to the curtains in the dining room like I used to do.

I've also been working out the designs on paper. Last year I found a website here where you can download and print paper in various grids. They have hexagons, ordinary graph paper, dot paper, diamonds, even musical staff paper and primary handwriting paper. It will even generate calendars if you are so inclined. It is a graph paper lover's paradise if there is such a thing as a graph paper lover. You have got to love the world wide web!

I'm off tomorrow for the MLK holiday so I am going to keep plugging away at this. It is kind of fun to keep switching between the two projects, one done on the machine and the other hand sewn.

1 comment:

Forgetmenot said...

What a great website. I often seem to run out of squared paper so I'm sure I'll use it - thank you for the link. Posies are looking good. Elizabeth