Sunday, July 26, 2009

Something to Share

I tried this recipe for Moroccan Tomato Soup from the New York Times a week or so ago and we liked it so much we're having it for the second time tonight with dinner. It's a wonderful way to use your beautiful ripe tomatoes without having to heat up the kitchen because it's a cold soup.

I don't often try NYT recipes because here deep in the wilds of the mid-west it is difficult to find many of the ingredients they use without having to go on a grocery safari, and who wants to have to do that?

This one, though, calls for regular off-the-shelf ingredients and turns ordinary tomatoes into a wonderful spicy soup.

Instead of using a food mill (which I don't have) I peeled and seeded the tomatoes and gave them a whirl in the food processor. I halved the amount of garlic and left out the salt (we're on a low-fat, low-sodium diet). I also substituted flat leaf parsley for the cilantro, since I picked up parsley by mistake when I reached for the cilantro at the market.

It tastes good the second day, too. If you have any leftover. Which you probably won't.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

mmm yum, does that ever sound good!