Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Going Scrappy


I haven't been able to do much sewing this week. Last weekend was the first time in a long time that I haven't even gotten up to my sewing room to work for at least a little while. I ran up to visit my daughter Saturday, and then on Sunday, I couldn't seem to get myself in gear.

Like just about everyone else in the Midwest we had a beautiful weekend that ended abruptly on Sunday night with storms, and since then we have been treated to a gray drizzle with a threat of snow. In fact, I did see a tiny bit of snow at lunch time today, but it didn't amount to anything. It's a little depressing after the promise of spring we had.

Anyway, this afternoon after school I decided that I needed to do something quilty, so I started working on these. A while back I found these directions on making nine patches from two squares. I promised to do a demonstration for this month's guild meeting, so I thought I'd better get started. They are fun, mindless sewing and I am using up lots and lots of scraps.

Since I already have two other scrappy projects going, I'm hoping that I will finally be able to use up a lot of fabric that's been sitting around here too long. See that blue with the red flowers? I bought that at least ten years ago and I still have bits and pieces of it sitting around. I, er, tend to over estimate the amount of fabric I'll need for a project.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with all these squares. I'm thinking just a lap quilt, since I certainly don't need another big long-term project.

But aren't they cute?

3 comments:

jacquie said...

they sure are....i love your quilty trivet too...is it wood?

Elaine Adair said...

Yep - some days ya jes gotta sew!!! They'll find a home. 8-))

Marita said...

This is looking good, Diana. It is this way I learned how to make nine patch years ago. Efficient.
Wish you a very nice Easter holiday.