Monday, March 24, 2008

March UFO Done!

I finished the turning twenty of a different sort last night. All in all I'm pretty happy with it--I wish I could have spread out the colors a bit more; there was a distinct tendency for certain colors to pool. But, this is certainly more lively than the poor dead thing I had on my hands last summer. See this post for the story.

I'm just happy that this is out of my UFO corner and on my finished list. The photo doesn't do justice to the colors or the richness of the fabrics. I'll be really happy to use this as a throw over the futon once I get it quilted.

That white on the grass? Snow! Just when we thought we were over winter we got another little dusting last night. Still, the daffodils are beginning to bloom and I have even seem some forsythia bushes beginning to flower out, so I know that spring is nearly here.

This week is my spring break and I'm going to be staying with my mom for a few days. I'm taking a few little hand sewing projects and lots of Dear Jane stuff. Maybe I'll actually get some DJ blocks done. If you haven't already seen this blog, check it out. Anina is hosting a Dear Jane sew along, including tutorials on making the blocks. If you've ever thought of trying a Dear Jane you've still got time to catch up with her group. The tutorials are great.

10 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

I am in the process of the same dilemma! I had lots of beautiful fabric and simple pattern and when the blocks finished -BLECH!
I have decided to do the same thing cut up the blocks and actually make it into two quilts as mine was originally supposed to be QUEEN size. plus maybe a bag! I just want these blocks gone!!

Seems our weather is the same as well. little bits of snow, daffs starting to pop and forsythias wanting to bloom.

have a great spring break!

Mary Johnson said...

I'm not a fan of the Turning 20 or YBR patterns - I like more traditional blocks. It looks like you came up with a good solution here. We had snow this past weekend too - a lot of it.

mereth said...

I really like the randomness (is that a word?) of this top now. It looks a lot more complex than a Turning 20 and if you don't tell people the blocks history they'll just think you've been really clever.

Ruth's Place said...

The top looks lovely! Enjoy your break.

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

I love the way you cut the blocks, turn th pieces to make a nw pattern. Congratulations for finhishing this top.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing the top. I think it came out just great! I love your fabrics and the mix of shapes makes a very interesting and pleasing puzzle to study.

Shelina said...

Your quilt looks good - what a way to revive it.
I've been enjoying the DJ blog too - I really need to take advantage of those tutorials and make some blocks! As soon as I get some projects out of the way.

Robin said...

Your quilt looks so much more interesting than a plain ol' Turning Twenty. What a great solution!

Anonymous said...

It is quite satisfying getting the UFOs done! And this quilt turned out great I think!
And now it is Dear Jane? I admire everybody who start off such huge projects.

Lynda said...

How clever you are to make some blocks you hate into something great like this! It takes real courage to chop blocks you have spent time, effort (and money!) making into little bits!