Sunday, March 30, 2008

Home Again

I took a few (!) hand sewing projects with me when I spent the week with my mom.

She looked a little askance at this thing as I rolled it into her apartment at the retirement community, but this cart is the best thing I've found for hauling around a lot of little things--much better than multiple tote bags slipping off my shoulders. It's even big enough to hold my featherweight when I go to classes or retreats. It folds up into a neat little box about the size of the Complete Organ Music of Bach on LP but weighs much less.

I did get some things accomplished.

-Made about 20 more Brave New World units--all that I had fabric cut for.
-Started hand quilting an owl panel that I bought last year. Got about a third of it done.
-Made 6 (yes, you read it right!) DJ blocks

On the Dear Jane front I had a breakthrough, of sorts. One of the reasons I wanted to make a DJ was that I thought if I pushed myself to try new techniques I might actually learn how to do them. Techniques like applique, which I have tried in the past and always struggled with.

This week, for some reason, it suddenly began working for me. I did three applique blocks. No cursing. No shrieking. No shredded fabric. I actually began looking through the patterns in the book (all eleventy thousand of them) to find more applique to work on.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I see that while I was away, everybody else was very busy. I'm going to spend the next few days catching up on your posts and replying to comments on mine.

Have a great week.

5 comments:

Anne Heidi said...

Wow, you are just ROLLING on those DJ blocks. I am thinking the same as you- a great way of learning new techniques, but I haven't started one single block yet....

McIrish Annie said...

What does this brave new world block look like? I must have missed it if you posted it.

I have always avoided the DJ blocks because of the size and the applique. Congrats on having the courage to give them a go!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I had a cart exactly like yours for my scrapbook stuff in South Africa. I think they are wonderful totes. I want to start a DJ, but it is down the road a bit.

Ali Honey said...

Sounds like you made great progress while away. Cute wheels!

Shelina said...

Love the cart! Congratulations on getting so much done! I too thought it would get me to try out different techniques. Still working on building up my courage!