Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What I'm Working on Wednesday


More socks. It's a little like eating potato chips. Once you get started on socks you just have to keep going. I'm afraid I've long since lost the ball band on this yarn. I wish I could remember the yarn brand because it yielded a very generous amount--I often seem to find myself running low as I begin the decreases for the toe. I started the first one just after Christmas and I turned the heel during a loooooong flight delay in Detroit on our way back from Boston just before New Year's. The second one got finished up to the toe last night during the president's speech.


This second one is made from yarn dyed by my LYS owner. It may hold the all-time record for frogging. It was a case of the yarn looking much more attractive on the skein than it did as it was knitted up. After trying many different knitting patterns I finally just decided to go with the old plain Jane. Oh well. It's actually beginning to grow on me.

The sock is on top of a cheat sheet I made for myself so I wouldn't have to keep hunting down the book with the heel pattern, then the other book with the heel turning sequence, then the blasted directions for the dreaded Kitchener stitch. I can't think why it took so long to come up with that little time saver.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire knitters who knit socks, for it looks SOOOOO difficult. I'll be thrilled when I can knit....anything.... :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Dianan, long time! I joined a sock-along for two years and knitted one pair every month. You are right, once you start....
Nice yarn you have used. A clue; if you start to knit to-up, you can knit until the ball is almost gone before you bind off.

Paula, the quilter said...

There is one pair of socks that I knitted that were fugly. The dyer just kept adding one nasty color on top of another. I finally bought some RIT color remover and stripped out 90% of the dye (I left a bit of gray). Then I re-dyed the socks and the leftover yarn with kool-aide. You can see them, both before and after, on my post here.