Sunday, April 22, 2007

One Sock Done



I haven't felt much like blogging this week. The news from Virginia was awful. My heart goes out to the relatives of the killed and wounded. What is wrong with our country when a mentally unbalanced young man can purchase guns legally and wreak such havoc on innocent lives?

I have managed to finish one sock and begin another. Samantha asked in the comments about the pattern. I got it from the Knittychick.com website. The pattern is called "Mock My Socks Off." Oops! I think I said the other day that the pattern was from Knitty.com. Sorry about that! The pattern looks complicated, but it is only a four row repeat so it's relatively easy to do.
Very satisfying too. I love a chunky, textured sock.



I also took the plunge and decided to join the Dear Jane group at my LQS. The "plan" is to complete seven to eight blocks a month and have a finished top in two years. Well, I can tell you right now THAT'S not going to happen.

I joined in because I felt like challenging myself. As I paged through the book I saw all kinds of blocks I would normally take a pass on because I don't have the skills to make them. But I'm never going to get the skills unless I push myself to learn them.

Take applique. I admire applique. I admire the people who do applique. But my one foray into applique last summer was not, shall we say, a happy experience. I'm willing to give it another try, though, because I would love to be able to do it.



This is Maria's square in round two of the guild round robin. I've never tried a checkerboard border before. Once I got started it went along pretty easily. I hope Maria likes it.