Saturday, March 10, 2007

DI Day!

Today was Destination Imagination tournament day! Our team has been preparing for this since last November. If you haven't heard of this great program, I posted about it in January with a link back to their website.

Our team consisted of four third-graders, one fourth-grader, and two fifth-graders. They worked together to research traditions of six different countries to incorporate into an improvisational skit which they put on for a panel of judges. Sound easy? Well, they ALSO had to somehow get in three senses (hearing, smelling, taste, etc.), an original object which they had to make on-site, a "situation" (which they learned as they went in to prepare their skit), and a picture (which they saw one minute before they went on). They had 30 minutes to prepare all this and come up with a six minute skit consisting of 3 scenes. Whew! And they DID it!

I am so proud of them!

Needless to say, most of my spare time for the last week has been spent getting these kids ready for the tournament. Getting seven bright, creative kids all moving in the same direction is MY challenge. Each year (this is my fifth) during the week before tournament I start wondering why I am doing this and if I can possibly go on doing it for another year. Then we go to tournament and I start making plans for next year!

On a quilty note, thank you for all the comments on the lilac block and the charm square blocks. The lilac was made by a member of my guild, and it is so pretty I want to make a really good border for her. That's for tomorrow! Right now, I'm going to settle down with a nice hot cup of coffee, put my feet up, and start planning for next year's DI team.

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Wow! That sounds like a pretty overwhelming list of things for one short skit. I bet it's a lot of fun.

Finn said...

Hi Diana,just had to pop over and see where you blog...it was nice to see a new face in my comments today..*VBS* Thank you for the lovely mental picture. I'm so tickled that the teacher still had a doll quilt from her Grandma..that in itself is special.

Children and quilts, ah yes, the very reason I'm willing to round up odds and ends, orphan blocks and such, and do these quick little quilts for the local daycare. It's run by the son of my friend Jean, and he does a great job. His daughter had a dolly quilt from Grandma Jean and all the little girls in daycare wanted it also..LOL Just like toddlers, so Finn to the rescue..*S* and I've loved every minute of it. Wish I could put more quilts in more childrens hands at that tender age.
I like the look of your 4 patches from the charm squares, will have to think about that one.
And the log cabin that changed piles is really spectacular!! I'm very impressed..you do a great job!
I'll be back to see what's new. Hugs, Finn