Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What I'm Working on Wednesday


Last Saturday one of the quilt guilds in town held a quilt show at the church where they meet. It's always fun to go to a local show because you get a chance to see what everyone has been working on, and around here, at least, you can also see a fair crop of antique quilts which people are happy to pull off beds or out of  cupboards to display. 

As I was walking around, one of the quilts on display brought tears to my eyes.  It was a seven sisters (click and scroll down a bit).  Do you know that pattern?  It's one of my favorites and has been on my bucket list for years.  This one had tiny diamonds of what looked like late 19th century pinks, blues, grays, and browns set with white, and the blocks were offset with solid dark green diamonds.  At least they seemed to be green; the quilts were being displayed in the church sanctuary and the light wasn't the best.  It seemed like an unusual combination to me, since I haven't seen dark green used much in antique quilts. According to the label, the quilt had been rescued from a junk shop. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so I wasn't able to get a picture. 

The diamonds were tiny, maybe an inch or less.  And I really like tiny pieces.  So, on Sunday afternoon after I finally got it through my head that I hadn't bought enough fabric for the quilt pattern I intended to work on at next weekend's retreat, I picked out some of my reproduction fabrics and cut a few diamonds.  These finish at 3/4" measured across the parallel sides. Now as much as I like small pieces, these are a bit too small for me, so I'm going to try it again with diamonds that finish at 1 inch. 

I'm not necessarily going anywhere with this.  I'm just playing with them--one of my favorite things to do.

1 comment:

Mary Lou Casada said...

I love those little diamonds! I have an antique LeMoyne star quilt (it's up on my site now) with 3 1/2" finished blocks -- YIKES! I'd love to reproduce it, but I can't work up my nerve, even with English paper piecing! Your blocks have the promise of something spectacular! I'm with you, though. 1" sounds way better than 3/4ths!!
Blessings,
Mary Lou