Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What I'm Working on Wednesday and a Retreat


I'm still playing around with this star design.

I decided to try some brighter fabrics to see how it would look. So far, I'm liking it. What I'm not liking so much is the yellow as a background. The picture here makes everything look darker than it really is; we're having another dreary rainy day. But even allowing for that, the yellow just doesn't seem right. I would like to set the stars against something light, maybe a blue? I guess I'll keep auditioning.

Unfortunately the two diamond units of this star are the sum total of sewing I've accomplished this week. It's been another busy, crazy week with work and family stuff to take care of. By the time I finally get home I'm usually too tired to do anything but veg out in front of the television set.

This weekend I'm going to a mini-retreat with some friends at a LQS that offers overnight accommodations for small sewing groups. I am so looking forward to this! In fact, this retreat has been my light at the end of the tunnel for weeks. We sew together almost weekly, but this is the first time that we've arranged for a weekend retreat. The one thing I really want to work on is my Blooming Nine-patch. I am also taking along the star project (what better place to audition fabric than a quilt shop?) and the nine patches for the Crazy Mom Quilts quiltalong. I've cut out lots of fabric for my nine-patches so I can zip through those in no time. I've also kitted up a couple more of the indigo blocks, so there will be lots of hand sewing, too.

After this weekend we only have two more weeks plus a bit until school is out.

1 comment:

The Calico Cat said...

nice star - my brain can't wrap itself around the non-90 degree sewing...

We are having a rainy next 4 days... Luckily I have sew-n-tell on Sunday. (Yes, my group is called sew-n-tell too!)