Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mark Twain House::My Blue Stars


 When we were planning our trip to Maine, my husband noticed that we were going to be passing close to the Mark Twain house in Hartford, Connecticut. Mark Twain is one of our favorite authors and we had heard so much about this house that this seemed like a great opportunity to visit and see it for ourselves.

Now you have to understand that driving from Indiana to Maine is a long trip, three days in the car.  And with rest stops and construction delays and heavy traffic through the bigger cities it's a little hard to plan to be at any given place at a particular time.  But we made it, just barely, with a full 7 minutes to spare before the final tour of the day.

 There are actually two tours, one of the house and another of the servants quarters, but since we arrived so late we were only able to take the house tour.  No inside pictures were allowed, but if you check out this link, you'll be able to see some of the interior and take a virtual tour.

The interior was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and his associates (before his stained glass days). Every surface of the interior is decorated in some way, with stencils or carvings.  It's almost too much to take in during one visit.  Many of the furnishings are not original to the house, but the curators were able to recover a few, including Mark Twain's ornately carved bed.  He liked to read in bed and had a gas line precariously extended from the chandelier to a bedside lamp. 

It was definitely worth the scramble to take the tour.  We seriously considered staying over in Hartford for another day and doing it again, but we had to move on.


There is some quilting content here!

I have been working on the blue stars.  I'd cut out enough fabric for six before the trip and have four of them nearly done.  Although I like the design, and I've enjoyed the sewing process, I'm not so sure about my color choice.  They seem too much alike to me.  I may just finish what I have cut out and lay them aside for now.  Or maybe experiment with other color combinations?  What do you think?

2 comments:

Bro. AJK said...

Since you drove from IN to ME, you had to go through NY. Perhaps on your way back to IN, you might want to drive though Elmira and visit Mark Twain's grave

http://www.cityofelmira.net/history/mark_twain.html

dutchcomfort said...

Three days in the car, oh my dear, that’s a long drive! I’m not much of a reader, so I don’t know Mark Twain.
I do know your blocks look fabulous! It always helps me to pin them on a wall and just watch them for some days. You will find out what you would like to change/add or leave.
Good luck!