Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lucky Find

The other day between appointments (hair and optometrist) I stopped in at a local flea market.  I've never had much luck finding anything there, but I'm always hunting for a certain iron skillet to replace one we broke after 30 years.  One booth that I usually gravitate towards first has textiles and old copies of quilting magazines.  Sometimes the owner has an old quilt out, but usually they're stained or made of cotton/poly blends or just plain falling apart.

This time, however, I was very lucky.


It's a beauty!  A hand-stitched grandmother's flower garden quilt top.  There were a few little rust stains here and there, but overall it is in great condition.  The colors look washed out in the photo above, but they are a bit truer below.


Each flower has a pumpkin-orange center with the red, white, and blue print around it.  The outer rings have a wonderful mixture of conversation prints, polka dots, checks and stripes.

It had to come home with me.  Think of it as a rescue mission. 

This now joins the never-ending hand quilting queue.

7 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

What a great find! It looks absolutely lovely!

Angie said...

That is truly a lucky find!

bettyp said...

looks like they used clothes fabris for the flower part . Nice finding this one!! I never find anything really nice either!!

Rose Marie said...

Oh my .... my heart would have skipped a few beats if I would have found this beauty .... lucky you!!!!

Martha said...

What a fabulous find! There are so many things I like about this -- the yellow path, the orange centers, and the two-print flowers. Lucky you!

tubakk said...

This is really nice. Lucky you!

trish said...

Oh what a lucky find! It is just gorgeous! :o)