Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I didn't really mean to take a three week hiatus from blogging. Things around here just got a little overwhelming for a couple of weeks. The good news is that the bookcase looks good. The contractor primed it before he built it, but it still needed quite a bit of sanding before we could give it a final coat of paint. Here it is with most of the books put back on it.

For some reason the picture makes it look like it bows out somehow, but trust me, the shelves are straight and true. Actually, this is with ALL of the living room books, which means that we were able to get rid of two other shelf units. Hooray! The old shelf units were very big (as in massive) so getting rid of them gives us a lot more space. And you see those two empty bottom shelves? I have empty book shelves!

The store where I bought the new sewing machine offered two morning classes on all the bells and whistles this machine has. So far, with the little I have been able to use it, I am loving it. It's going to take me a while to get used to all the fancy features, something I am really going to enjoy. The store also offers a set of informal classes called Club Bernina with extra projects to make which take advantage of the features on the machine. I'm going to sign up for these in the fall.

In between, I am still plugging along on the Serendipity blocks and have completed seven of them so far.



I'm starting to put them together now with some Jinny Beyer black and dark purple fabric I found. I wanted to use black at first, but the black and purple has a little bit of texture to it that looks much better, I think. This is still a hand sewing project so it's coming along, but slowly. I love the way all the pieces fit together. It's very satisfying.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I´m glad you are back. The bookcase looks great.

atet said...

Those bookcases look great and I can't wait to see the products of your play time with your Bernina!

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the book cases. great color choices for your block

Anonymous said...

Lovely new bookcases, and the block is wonderful.

Jo Raines said...

The bookcases do look great and I love the Serendipity blocks. Hope you like your Bernina. We haven't formally announced it yet but my husband and I are getting a Bernina dealership and will rent space at the quilt shop where I work. Wish us luck! We've got some pretty stiff regional competition.

Darlene said...

The bookcases look great. Nice to 'see' you!

Leigh said...

Lovely block. Glad you're back.

Marla said...

Empty bookshelves! Oh My! If we had an empty shelf in this house, I would think DH was seriously ill!Looks like a good excuse to go shopping! Your block looks great.

meggie said...

Lovely bookcase! Empty shelves to fill!!
Glad you are having fun with your new machine, too.
Love the colours in that block.

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

Beautiful your hand sewed block. The colors are just perfect.