Friday, July 24, 2009

I seem to have taken an unintended blogging (and quilting) break this week.

What I did work on was a cowl using Noro Silk Garden sock yarn using this pattern. I bought the yarn last winter, I think, but I couldn't find anything to use it for, except socks. The yarn is soft, but nubbly, so I didn't really think socks were going to work. If I'd bought two skeins I probably could have made a small shawl, but alas, I only had the one.

It measures about 24 inches in diameter and 15 inches long. I used size 8 needles, which were probably too big for this yarn, but let me tell you, it drapes beautifully. I think it will look good under a jacket this fall. I was amazed with how much I was able to get out of this one skein. I liked the pattern so much that I bought a few balls of cotton yarn to do it again.

Hancock's of Paducah was having a sale on select fabrics. Sigh. It's hard to pass up fabric at half-price. I always justify it to myself that if I don't like the fabric when it comes I can always use if as backing or something. But these are really beautiful.








And these reds. Can you believe that there was a time when I didn't like reds? These are just wonderful.

I've been collecting Turkey reds for a while to make a red and white quilt and I think I probably have enough to get started. One of these days.

I haven't forgotten the bindings for my two big quilts. Once I've fortified myself with another cup of coffee, my plan for today is to get at least one binding put together.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

2 comments:

Lynda said...

When buying sale fabrics, just buy fabrics you like! That way, you will use them eventually. (It works for me!)

ranette said...

Love, love, love those reds!